SDS2 Detailing 2022
- Flush framed clip connections
- No Paint tools
- PDF Submittal Tools
- User and Site Options
- Connection Cubes
- Material Operations
- Other enhancements
Release notes for 2022:
Release notes for pre-2022 SDS2 software:
Enhancement pages for pre-v2021 SDS2 software:
- 2021 Enhancements
- 2020 Enhancements
- 2018 Enhancements
- 2017 Enhancements
- 2016 Enhancements
- 2015 Enhancements
Licensing for SDS2 programs is now internet-based and is administered in the cloud. Provision is made, however, for using these programs offline.
Flush framed clip connections :
- 'Flush framed clip' is a new " Input type connection " for the Joist Edit window. The new connection type can also be selected at Home > Project Settings > Job > Connections > Auto Standard Connections and User Defined Connections .
- Note: If ' Vulcraft ' is not the " Joist manufacturer ," you will have to " Force " the connection to get a flush framed clip connection.
- Vulcraft CJ series joists are typically used with the ' Flush framed clip ' or ' Flush frame shear ' connection types. However, using a CJ series joist as your " Section size " is not a requirement. Connection design can create a flushed frame joist for other series.
- Joists with flush framed connections do not have shoes. Joists with bearing or seated connections are designed with shoes.
Input by Top of Joist Elevation
- To get a ' Flush framed clip ' joist-to-beam end connection, the top of the joist must be at the same elevation as the supporting beam. When locating points for Member Add Joist , use the Input by Top of Joist Elevation modifier.
- The ' Flush framed clip ' input connection type can also be used when a joist frames to a column.
- Setup for flush framed clip angles:
- Home > Project Settings > Job > Modeling > Joist Manufacturers > set " Joist manufacturer " to ' Vulcraft '.
- If ' Vulcraft ' is not available to be selected as the " Joist manufacturer ," use the Joist Manufacturer Manager utility to add the manufacturer to your current Job.
- When ' Vulcraft ' is the " Joist manufacturer ," the Shapes Properties section in the local shape file that is named " Joist: Nucor-Vulcraft " will populate the " Section size " selection list that opens when you press the button on the Joist Edit window.
- Vulcraft CJ series joists can be found in the " Joist: Nucor-Vulcraft " section of the local shape file.
- Home > Project Settings > Fabricator > Standard Fabricator Connections > Clip Angle Settings has options that apply to joist clip angle connections as well as beam clip angle connections.
- Home > Project Settings > Fabricator > Standard Fabricator Connections > Joist Connection Settings .
- Home > Project Settings > Job > Modeling > Joist Manufacturers > set " Joist manufacturer " to ' Vulcraft '.
- " Connection specifications " for joist clip angle connections are similar to those for beam clip angles:
Gage Welded extended tee Attachment to supported Full depth extended tee Attachment to supporting Skew holes in angle Side Extend bottom chord Use erection bolts Stabilizing material Safety connection Use erection hole Stagger on Vertical stabilizer angle
- Connection design locks can be used, in Modeling , to make adjustments to a flush framed joist connection's initial design:
Leaf Name Situation NS Clip FS Clip When you are looking at a joist whose left end is on your left, the joist's near side is the side you are facing. Knife Plate A flush framed clip angle (or shear plate) can be bolted or welded to the joist's knife plate. Welded Tee Connection design can create a built-up tee for joist-to-beam framing situations. Same as for beam-to-beams.
- Flush framed joist connection failure messages, clip angles and shear plates:
- Flush framed joist connection only valid for Vulcraft joists
- Flush framed joist elevation not at supporting beam top of steel
- Shear or knife plates clash with bottom extension plate/angle
- Joist bottom extension stabilizer won't fit in supporting beam web (also for bearing connections)
- User top chord setback less than minimum required
No Paint Tools :
- No Paint and No Paint Layout are tools that add an area of " User created material " to a member so that, when it is auto detailed with templates, it shown outlined with dashed lines. Optionally, member detailing with templates may also be instructed to fill the area with hatch and to label it with "NO PAINT" or other text.
- No Paint tool icons can be taken from the group named ' Model -- Material ' and placed on a toolbar (classic) or the ribbon (lightning).
- No Paint and No Paint Layout tools are SDS2 Toolbox tools. Such tools are free to users whose support accounts are current. Contact an SDS2 sales representative for more information. To download these tools, log in at https://sds2.com and search ( ) for "toolbox".
Handrail pickets have been improved. There are new options to control spacing and how that spacing is applied to left and right hand rail returns.
- Formerly, the Hand Rail tool would not add pickets at stair and flat handrail splices and returns. Now they are added.
- You can select a round bar picket material " Section size " from the local shape file, so that round bar pickets match an available shape. Formerly, you input a bar diameter.
- On the Hand Rail window, Max clearance " replaces the " Max spacing " found in versions of SDS2 programs previous to v2022. This sets the clearance between pickets and posts as measured from the outside of their material. By contrast, " Max spacing " measured picket spacing from their centers. To improve dimensioning, you can " Round up " this clearance to an appropriate increment.
- Optionally, a " Left end spacing condition " (or right end condition) can be chosen to space a picket from an end by a ' Setback from point' distance that you enter. Otherwise, it is spaced using the " Max clearance ."
- Rounding and spacing options ( Max clearance , " Left end spacing " etc.) can be applied to left or right ends independently of the main section settings.
- Home > Project Settings > Job > Plugin Defaults > Member Plugin Defaults > Hand Rail Setup has new options for pickets corresponding to those on the Hand Rail window. New template detailing options for picket dimensions can be also be found on the Hand Rail Setup window.
Greater control of the size and placement of internal and external galvanizing vents is provided.
- " Internal in Connection Plates " adds an internal vent hole to ' Continuous Bottom Plate , ' Base Plate ' or ' L Shaped Plate ' handrail post connection. This is available even when ' Internal ' vent hole is not checked.
- You can set the ' Interior vent hole diameter ' of internal galvanizing vent holes, or allow an " Auto interior hole diameter " to be used.
- " Add external vent holes on end post elbow " lets you omit such holes when they are not required. Independently, you can add " P-End vent holes " in elbows or in rails.
- Home > Project Settings > Job > Plugin Defaults > Member Plugin Defaults > Hand Rail Setup has new options for galvanizing vents corresponding to those on the Hand Rail window.
Corner posts can be added to handrails or omitted.
- When the left section end has a return, a " Left corner post " can be added to the ' Main section ' or to a ' Return ', or it can be omitted (' None '). This is also true of a " Right corner post " when the handrail has a right return.
- " Left Corner Post " options can be set independently of the main section or return that you add it to, as can the " Right Corner Post " options.
A new ' L Shaped Plate ' material post connection is available. Setup for this plate can be found in Home > Project Settings > Job > Plugin Defaults > Member Plugin Defaults > Hand Rail Setup .
For the ' Base Plate ' connection, the post " Hole Offset Type " can be changed from the ' Center ' to the ' Left... ' or ' Right of Post '.
PDF Submittal Tool :
The PDF Submittal Tool exports sheets and submittal cover sheets to PDF files and, optionally, provides convenient cloud-based hosting for them on Bluebeam Studio.
User and Site Options :
User and Site Options > General > " UI theme " changes the color scheme of Home , the Modeling and Drawing Editor environments, tool windows, progress bars, etc., in both the ' Classic ' and ' Lightning ' layout styles . The new ' Dark " theme shows light characters and icons on a dark background.
User and Site Options > General > " Quick access sidebar items size " allows you to change the size of tool icons that appear on the quick access feature of the ' Lightning ' layout style .
Material Operations :
Added Material Operations button to Material Edit windows.
While editing material, Material Operations opens a new window where users are given options to show or delete previously performed Material Fit commands.
New Material Operations tools, Show , Hide , and Hide All provide another quick way to work with any voids that were created during a Material Fit.
Connection Cubes :
Connection cubes are objects, that when added to the 3D model in Modeling , cab provide reports for any structural node inside of it.
- Connection cube reports can consist of 2D and 3D representations of the cube's connections, system-generated calculations similar to Connection Design Calculations and Expanded Calculations . You can also add your own attachment to these reports by using the Connection Cube Attachment Manager .
- The Connection Cube Edit tool opens the Connection Cube window, from which you can customize and generate connection cube reports.
- Connection cubes can be selected in the 3D model -- the Connection Components ' selection filter can make that easier.
- You can also select them in the Model Tree when you " View by " ' Connection Cube ' .
- You can toggle the display of connection cubes in Modeling by using the " Connection Cubes " display option.
- Optionally, as you Detail Erection Views you can also add " Connection Cubes " as annotations.
- Several new tools are provided for adding and updating connection cubes:
|Connection Cube Add||Adds a connection cube to represent a structural node using member ends or connection components that you select.|
|Connection Cube Detail||Automatically details the connection cubes that you select from the 3D model.|
|Detail Connection Cubes from List||Automatically details the connection cubes that you select from a list.|
|Connection Cube Isolate||Isolates the connection cube that you click or have preselected.|
|Add Components or Member Ends to a Connection Cube||Adds selected components or member ends to a connection cube.|
|Remove Components or Member Ends from a Connection Cube||Removes selected components or member ends from a connection cube.|
Other enhancements :
You can right-click and drag any pinned tool to change its position on the quick access feature of the ' Lightning ' layout style .
Custom Parametric Launchers, Report Launchers, and Selection Launchers can be used in keyboard configurations, shortcut menu configurations, and mode configurations. Previously, you could only add them to toolbars and to the ribbon.